What is UGC NET JRF Eligibility Criteria?
Every year thousands of candidates apply for UGC NET JRF exam in a hope to be an Assistant Professor or Junior Research without considering the UGC NET eligibility criteria which is an integral part of UGC NET JRF exam. It is significant that candidates must apply only after confirming that they are meeting the UGC NET eligibility criteria. If they do not meet the UGC NET JRF eligibility criteria then they can be disqualified at a later stage of the examination. Below are the basic eligibility criteria of ugc net jrf exam that candidates must fulfill to meet to appear in ugc net jrf exam:
- Candidates should secure at least 55 per cent aggregate marks in post-graduation
- Candidates should not be more than 30 years in age in order to be eligible for JRF
- A relaxation of five per cent in educational qualification is given to reserved category candidates
- A relaxation of five years in age criteria is given to reserved category candidates
- Candidates who have cleared State Eligibility Test (SET) before June 1, 2002 are exempted from taking the UGC NET exam
UGC NET Academic Qualifications:
- Qualifying Exam: Applying candidate should own Master’s degree or its equivalent from a board or university recognized by UGC.
- Qualifying Marks:Candidate must have secured minimum of 55% marks (50% for ST/SC/OBC/PwD) in the Master’s degree in streams such as Social Science, Humanities, Computer Science & Applications and Electronic Science.
- Appearing Candidate:Candidates who are in their final year of qualifying exam can also apply.
UGC NET Age Criteria:
- There is no age limit for the position of Assistant Professor. However, in case of JRF the age of the applicant must not be more than 30 years. 5 years of relaxation is given to reserved candidates.
- For LLM Degree possessing candidates, 3 years of age relaxation will be given.
- Candidates, who have served in the armed forces, will be given 5 years of age relaxation.
UGC NET Exemption (for candidates applying for assistant professor role only):
- Candidates must clear their NET/SLET/SETexam in order to be eligible for the post of Assistant Professor in various Universities or institutions.
- Candidates successfully clearing their SETbefore June 1, 2002 recognized by UGC will be exempted to appear in the exam.
- Candidates who have passed the UGC/CSIR JRFexamination earlier than the year 1989 are exempted to appear for the test.
- Candidates who are awarded with a PhD Degree by UGCas per the minimum standards and process for the award will be exempted from the requirement of the minimum eligibility condition of NET/SET/SELT for appointment as Assistant Professor in Universities/ Colleges/ Institutions.